Somen and Shiitake go very well together, so there are many ways to combine them.
- Add the Shiitake broth to the Somen-Tsuyu (Soup Base for Somen Noodles).
- Cook your own Somen-Tsuyu from Shiitake broth.
- Add slice braised Shiitake to Somen-Tsuyu. (photo)
- Eat slice braised Shiitake as a garnish with Somen.
- Add Shiitake to leftover Somen to cook Somen-Chanpuru (Okinawan stir-fry dish)
The easiest way is using Shiitake broth to dilute the concentrated Somen-Tsuyu.
Here are some tips to make it more delicious. Boil the Shiitake broth for about 10 minutes to reduce its strong aroma. 10 minutes of boiling will remove the strong smell of the Shiitake and make the Umami taste even stronger.
In particular, when you get high-quality Somen noodles, you will want to make your Somen-Tsuyu from scratch because the ready-made Somen-Tsuyu will not match the high-quality noodles.
In Kyoto, people cook Somen-Tsuyu by hand using Shiitake broth. That's Kyoto, the capital of gastronomy!.
Tsuke-tsuyu = dipping sauce
Kake-tsuyu = hot noodle soup broth